Frequently Asked Questions

Here are answers to common questions about school-led training. If you have questions that aren’t answered here just get in touch or live chat one of our advisors.

Do I need a DBS check to begin teacher training?

If you are offered a place, you are responsible for ensuring that you have a DBS check which is suitable for your base school’s needs.  You can apply for a DBS check through Educate.  Go to our website for more information about procedures and fees for this service.

Will I get a maintenance grant/loan?

You will need to contact Student Finance England,, to find out if you are eligible for a grant and/or loan.

Will I get a student loan?

If you are a SCITT or School Direct (fee-paying) trainee you can apply for a Student Loan to cover the £6,000 course fee.  Go to for more information about how to apply.  If you opt for the PGCE, the £2,000 fee is not subject to a Student Loan and must be paid to Educate […]

Am I entitled to a bursary?

Bursaries are awarded according to the phase or subject you wish to teach and/or your degree classification.  If you are entitled to a bursary according to the National criteria, you will receive it, in instalments, after your course begins.  The criteria can be found at .

How do I apply?

All application for teacher training is through the UCAS system which opens at the end of October.  Access the UCAS portal at for more information.