School Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT)
As a SCITT trainee you’ll spend the greatest proportion of your time in a school, teaching pupils and learning alongside expert practitioners.
You have to approach schools yourself in order to secure one which will act as your training base for the year, but this gives you the opportunity to select from those schools familiar to you, close to where you live or where you already work. You will also teach in a contrasting school, for a six-week placement, and undertake shorter placement visits to a range of schools and settings.
If you are a Secondary SCITT trainee, you will train across the 11-16 age range within the Secondary (11-19) phase.
If you are Primary SCITT trainee, you will train across either the 3-7 or 5-11 age range within the Primary (3-11) phase.
The fee for this course, leading to QTS, is £6,000. UK and EU students are usually eligible for a student loan to cover the whole of this fee and may also be eligible for a maintenance loan. If you are offered a place, apply for your student loan through the Student Loans Company, selecting Educate Teacher Training as your provider. Depending on the phase and/or subject you wish to teach, and your degree classification, you will also be eligible for a Government training bursary or scholarship. This will be paid to you, in instalments, after you begin your course.
All trainees can opt to add a PGCE, validated by Leeds Beckett University, for a further fee of £2,000. This is not subject to a student loan.
- An undergraduate degree
- GCSE English and Maths at Grade 4/C or above (or the equivalent standard)
- A GCSE Science subject at Grade 4/C or above (or the equivalent standard) if you want to be a Primary school teacher
- Subject knowledge in the subject you wish to teach if you want to be a Secondary school teacher
- Successful completion of the professional skills tests in literacy and numeracy. Click here to learn more.
If you don’t have the correct GCSE qualifications you can take our equivalence tests. Click here to learn more.
If you are selected for teacher training and your qualifications are pending, Educate Teacher Training will make you a conditional offer. All conditions must be met before you can formally begin the programme.
As well as the excellent career outlook, there are several benefits of training through the SCITT route. You can:
- Influence the choice of your school and location
- Gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for £6,000
- Have the option to also gain a PGCE, alongside QTS
- Be an outstanding trainee teacher through working and training alongside expert practitioners
- Become a confident teacher, accustomed to the challenges of the classroom by the time you qualify
We currently have Primary and Secondary places available for a September 2018 start. Apply through UCAS, selecting Educate Teacher Training as your provider.
This year we are pleased to offer:
- Art & Design
- Design & Technology
- Modern Languages
The endorsement of you from a base training school will be a condition of your offer. In order to confirm your base training school as a member of our partnership, please contact us on 01476 512793 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org requesting a Partnership Pack. We will be happy to answer queries from potential schools if they have not worked with us before.