School Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT)
As a SCITT trainee you’ll spend the greatest proportion of your time in a school, teaching pupils and learning alongside expert practitioners.
You have to approach schools yourself in order to secure one who will act as your training base for the year, but this gives you the opportunity to select from those schools familiar to you, close to where you live or where you already work. You will also teach in a contrasting school, for a four-week placement, and undertake shorter placement visits to a range of schools and settings.
If you are a Secondary SCITT trainee, you will train in and across the 11-16 (with enhancement) age range.
If you are Primary SCITT trainee, you will train in and across either the 3-7 or 5-11 age range.
- An honours degree
- GCSE English and Maths at Grade C or above
- A GCSE Science subject at Grade C or above if you want to be a primary school teacher
- Proven subject knowledge in your specialist subject if you want to be a secondary school teacher
- Successful completion of the professional skills tests in literacy and numeracy. Click here to learn more. Educate Teacher Training offer booster courses in numeracy and literacy to help you prepare. Please find further details on our website.
If you don’t have the correct GCSE qualifications you can take our equivalence test. Click here to learn more.
If you are selected for teacher training and your qualifications are pending, Educate Teacher Training will make you a conditional offer. All conditions must be met before you can formally begin the programme.
As well as the excellent career outlook, there are several benefits of training through the SCITT route. You can:
- Influence the choice of your school and location
- Gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for £6,000
- Have the option to also gain a PGCE, validated by Leeds Beckett University, for an additional £2,000 (this fee is not eligible for a student loan)
- Be an outstanding trainee teacher through working and training alongside expert practitioners
- Become a confident teacher, accustomed to the challenges of the classroom by the time you qualify
We currently have primary and secondary places available for a September 2016 start. Apply through UCAS, selecting Educate Teacher Training as your provider.
This year we are pleased to offer:
- Art & Design
- Design & Technology
- Modern Languages
The endorsement of you from a base training school will be a condition of your offer. In order to confirm your base training school as a member of our partnership, please contact us on 01476 512793 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org requesting a Partnership Pack. We will be happy to answer queries from potential schools if they have not worked with us before.